Monday, November 25, 2013

The End

For someone who spends the bulk of her time on the Internet, I felt that I had sufficient knowledge about the Internet and what it has to offer. However, COM125 proved me wrong.

I learnt something new in every class. Even when I embarked on my research for my blog posts, I stumbled upon new terms and interesting features found on the Internet. Of course, reading my classmates' blogs too opened my eyes to information I never knew of. One example is Bitcoin, which I read about on Mandy's blog. A somewhat complicated but clever idea that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. 

I was especially intrigued by the lessons on augmented reality and the Ikea video shown in class. I had never actually heard of augmented reality before taking COM125, and was pretty fascinated by this invention. The same applies to Google Glass, which was featured quite a number of times in class too. I was embarrassed to find out that I had no idea of this invention, despite being a self-confessed Internet addict. It is like seeing your dreams become reality. 

When it came to selecting a topic for presentation, my group decided on the Internet of Things. Yet another term which I was completely clueless about. I later learnt that the Internet of Things was in the COM125 syllabus too, and was eager to hear more about this topic. Learning about the Internet of Things prepared me for the future ahead. I can now anticipate the exciting features that the Internet has in store for me (and also brag about it to my friends and family hehehe).

Learning about the Internet helped me to identify both the boon and bane of it. Undoubtedly, the Internet is a great help, a work in progress that is only going to enhance our lives even more. However, with this added convenience comes other problems such as privacy and security issues. Would it be too intrusive if we were to have the Internet monitor our movements 24/7? 

Now that COM125 has come to an end, I'm glad that it has enriched me with the little-known facts about the Internet. After learning so much, it is clear that the Internet is full of endless possibilities. If the future of the Internet is reflective of what was presented in class, I am definitely looking forward to its official arrival!

No comments:

Post a Comment